Moving Arts is proud to announce the sixth cycle of MADlab, our flagship New Play Development program.
We look forward to your application!
The MADlab Team
MADlab 2019 Now Accepting Applications:
MADlab is a unique 9-month program that empowers a playwright to develop a new play from the idea up. *All plays submitted should be ideas only, not something that you have already written or are currently writing.*
The Program is comprised of four phases:
Phase 1 - Begins in March 2019. Approximately six weeks after the selection process we begin Phase 1, which consists of a small, in-house cold reading of your first draft by professional actors. In attendance will be all of the playwrights in the program plus the MADlab staff and the dramaturges. After each reading there will be a very short, very focused response session after each reading.
Phase 2 - Begins in April 2019. Approximately 5 weeks from your first reading, we will have your second cold reading. This reading will operate the same way as the first reading. In addition, the playwrights will be encouraged to invite one or two peers; and we will also include directors for the program.
Phase 3 - Begins in late June/early July 2019, approximately 6 weeks after the end of Phase 2. This phase consists of a 15 hour workshop with professional directors and actors who will be paid for their time. All actors and directors are selected by Moving Arts, with input from playwrights. This is an opportunity to do table and staging work to see how a scene that might seem challenging can be realized, or to hear and tweak the text. There is not a performative end to this phase, so the goal of this phase is to explore and strengthen without the pressure of getting the piece audience-ready.
Phase 4 - Begins in September 2019, approximately 5 weeks after the workshop phase. We, again, collect professional actors and directors, maybe the same from the workshop or maybe not, for 10 hours of rehearsal which culminates in a public reading of your play in our FIRST LOOK series.
All participants are expected to be present for all participating playwrights' cold readings in Phase 1 and Phase 2 as we build a network of trust and support for one another.
Each selected playwright:
- Will be paired with a dramaturge or producer
- Will be given two cold readings of their scripts which will include curated and focused feedback sessions
- Will have a 15 hour workshop period with professional actors and a director who specializes in new play development
- Will receive a final public reading of their play with ten hours of rehearsal with professional actors and a director.
- Will receive $250 as a stipend for the process
- For more information and to apply to MADlab, please fill out this online application or go to www.movingarts.org/madlab
- You must be a Los Angeles Area playwright
- Submit a synopsis of your proposed play
- Submit a 5-7 page script sample of a stage play
- Submit your Resume/CV
Please fill out the form by January 23, 2019 to be considered for the 2019 MADlab program.
Accepted playwrights will be notified by mid-February.
We sincerely hope you will consider joining us for what should be a very exciting year.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!
Moving Arts | L.A. Born. L.A. Bred. L.A. Built.